"In making a work public, artists enter into partnership with their audience." -- A very interesting blog entry from David Weinberger, discussing new ideas of authorship, copyright licensing, and how artistic works get their "value." This quote I chose may come into our discussion tomorrow night about "partnerships," whether officially sanctioned or not, between musicians and their audiences, and imitators. Weinberger, by the way, is the author of a popular and somewhat influential book about the development and meaning of the WWW, "Small Pieces Loosely Joined."
And speaking of musicians and their audiences, Elvis Costello just released a new CD with his own disclaimer (tongue in cheek, perhaps) over the new, prominent FBI anti-piracy warning on the cover. What do you think of this?
And speaking of musicians and their audiences, Elvis Costello just released a new CD with his own disclaimer (tongue in cheek, perhaps) over the new, prominent FBI anti-piracy warning on the cover. What do you think of this?

1 Comments:
I think it's great what Elvis Costello did, though I'm guessing it wouldn't have much legal sway if a person did get in trouble for copying his album. It definitely sends the message that he wants you to listen and enjoy and share his music, though. I wonder if he'd like to get into a Creative Commons license if his producer would allow it...
By
Amani, at 5:15 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home