Intellectual Property in Business and Society

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

FruitCal? What about Splenda!?
While reading the information of IP licencing for Procter&Gamble's FruitCal, I started to wonder if this article will soon be dated. A better example of creative licencing of IP in my opinion would be that of Splenda. So I tried to look around on the internet for any information of how Splenda plans to take over the world...

I first found out about splenda about two years ago when my mother started to use it in her coffee. Now, it has been licenced to coca-cola for diet coke (a cash cow), and there are even cookbooks out there for recipies that make use of the product.

After searching the web, the only site that was of any interest was Splenda's main page SPLENDA.
I was wondering if anyone has heard any information about this company, such as licencing deal exclusivity, future plans, or even if they are publically traded. It seems like there could be a lot of interesting things to learn about IP here, but I just need some help to uncover more information...

-dbb

2 Comments:

  • Here's an article about the plan to introduce Diet Coke with Splenda -- note that the British company Tate & Lyle had purchased Splenda from its original owner, and planned to expand its use dramatically. Maybe the next step is to look into T&L and also the developer of Splenda, and look up any patents that cover it? Good choice for a research project!

    By Blogger emily, at 2:14 PM  

  • Oops, for some reason the link did not come through -- the article is:
    http://business.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,9065-1475389,00.html

    By Blogger emily, at 2:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home