Intellectual Property in Business and Society

Saturday, November 03, 2007

This is a very interesting article about IP and Harry Potter. With Harry Potter being such a large global identity/entity, who knows how many lawyers are out there maintaining that corporate image. And with all of the fake books that would appear before each new book came out, it must be impossible to track everything.

1 Comments:

  • Nice catch, Caryn -- this is a very timely story, because now the series of HP books is complete, I bet Rowling and the Scholastic legal team will be much more aggressive about protecting their IP. Before Book 7 came out, I purchased an "unauthorized" speculative book titled "What Will Happen in Harry Potter Book 7"! It was written by the editors of an HP fansite, and avoided legal trouble, I think, on that basis as well as their clear disclaimers. If this "HP encyclopedia" claimed to be the "definitive" source of info, that would likely bring a legal challenge -- esp. since Rowling wants to do that project herself!

    By Blogger emily, at 8:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home