I recently noticed a "Boost Mobile" advertisement that simply stated "Where you at?" on a solid blue background. I was shocked to find when I looked closer that the slogan "Where you at?" was a registered trademark. I found the trademark in the Trademark office database with serial number 76563230.
I think registered trademarks such as this are totally overkill and an abuse of the current trademark system. It seems that companies are rushing to trademark any commonly used slang in an effort to monopolize the use of that term in the future.
Paris Hilton has even trademarked the phrase "That's Hot"! (Serial #:77163240) Does anyone think there is something wrong with the system when this can occur without restriction?

1 Comments:
I definitely think it is in these types of cases especially that trademarks seem to lose their value. When such ordinary phrases become exclusive, it denies rationality. As we said in class, anyone should be able to use the phrase "That's hot", without having to incorporate Paris Hilton or passing it by her people first. What if I want to sell a chiminea and I'm saying it burns fire and so "that's hot"? That phrase could apply to so many more products that are not associated with Paris. It's already strange that people, companies can own words and phrases. Yes, it's supposed to set them off from other businesses or people, but when does it cross the line? I think this case, in which Paris has used her "Simple Life" show to allow that phrase to be attached to her, is an illustration of how fame can be abused.
By
Tchen, at 2:54 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home